Sunday, July 28, 2013

I Want Satisfaction!

“I want satisfaction!” the customer demanded. He was a giant, burly man determined to have his way, and he glared at the cashier and said, “Get me the manager in charge.”
Samantha stood frozen behind the counter, petrified and fear-stricken. This was her first time working at the returns desk. Teresa, her supervisor, insisted each cashier train six months prior to sharpen their skills. She wanted her people confident against the rough customers looking to have their way. However, Burly Man had Samantha wishing she waited six months and one day before working a shift here.
Samantha reached for the phone, watching Burly Man cautiously in case he lashed out like a spitting cobra.
“Hello,” Derrick said, answering the phone on the first ring.
It was a nasty habit of his, answering the phone as fast as possible. Ever since Christy, the phone operator, applauded him for answering his phone better than any other manager he made a point to keep doing that. “I figure if I can look good performing something as basic as this,” he told fellow managers, “why not let it ride?” But those same fellow managers got even by saying it was the only thing he did well.
“Derrick, I have a customer who wants to speak with you,” Samantha said.
He shook his head. That’s what I get for answering my phone. “Did he ask for me by name?” It didn’t matter. Being Manager-on-Duty meant being on the sales floor available to all customers and associates whether you liked it or not.
“He wants to speak with the manager in charge.”
Lucky me. “Okay, I’ll be right there.”

Managers hated taking calls from the returns desk. It meant dealing with angry customers wanting to return or cancel their purchase which was non-returnable and non-cancelable, like it stated on their receipt. So why did he have a problem with this?

Author's note: This is an excerpt from my latest book, 'Who's Minding the Store?' I'll bet this sample page has happened to you, along with others you know seeing how we've all worked retail at some point. This book is a compilation of stories from personal experiences and those shared by those I've worked with. I'd like to hear your stories and how close they relate to my book. Let me know by entering your own comments.

Who's Minding the Store? - Available in soft cover and kindle. You may order a copy direct from your local bookstore and save on shipping when picking up at the store. Or direct at amazon. Visit the author's website at www.LuceroBooks.com and follow him on his twitter and fb accounts.



No comments:

Post a Comment